Friday, December 9, 2011
One Exciting Night
Well...it was Tuesday...you know...one of those nights of the week that I don't work and therefore am supposedly able to count on a good night's sleep...as if that happens much with 3 kids and living in the middle of nowhere. Anyway...it was about 1:30 in the morning. Abigail was between her second and third day of fighting off whatever it was she was fighting off that was making her have a fever and not sleep well. So I was crawling out of bed to rock her back to sleep. The house was open since it was an unseasonably 67 degrees outside, and the air was kind of moist and still. I was rocking Abigail in her room...all warm and snuggly...when all of a sudden...roosters started crowing...seriously...at 1:30 in the morning...about three hours earlier than usual...then hens were making a lot of noise, too, and I was thinking that if I ever got Abigail back in the bed, I was going to close the house up so we wouldn't hear them. About that time, I heard Luke get up...not that unusual for him...then I heard lots of stomping up and down the hall and doors opening and closing. Not knowing what was going on, I must admit I was quite annoyed...until out of nowhere...BLAM!!!!!!...and then the chickens calmed down some. Abigail finally went back to sleep, and when I got back to bed, here's what I found out. Luke had gone to investigate why the chickens were riled up. What he found was that a possum had gotten into the chicken house and was in the middle of eating a chicken! And here's a disturbing fact...apparently possums don't kill their prey before they eat them...he was starting with the drumstick...yuck and poor distressed chicken! The chickens were still cutting up some, so I asked what he did with the possum once he shot it...apparently its carcass was still where they could see it...so, he went and got it out of view, the chickens calmed down, and we all went back to sleep. Now...when do I work again?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment